It’s important to stay safe when actively travelling during the winter months.
Check out the tips below that will help make your winter travels safer!
- Monitor the weather forecast and plan ahead accordingly.
- Dress in layers so you are prepared for the changing weather.
- Wear bright or reflective gear so you can be seen by drivers, cyclists, and other walkers.
- Choose insulated footwear that have a non-slip tread sole.
- Scan for hazards like black ice that can be hard to see.
- Walk on designated and clear paths.
- Step – don’t jump from vehicles, stairs, curbs, bikes, scooters and other equipment.
- Don’t walk with your hands in your pockets – this reduces the ability to use your arms for balance if you do slip.
- Make sure your backpack isn’t too heavy – shifting weight may cause you to lose your balance.
- Stay hydrated – walking with heavy clothing and through snow is physically demanding, make sure to drink plenty of water.
Follow us on Twitter for daily tips and information about active travel! @EMCHalton